Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Kanuks Pull a Fast One on Me...


I'm a bit upset right now. I was supposed to be arriving in Calgary, Alberta right about this very moment. Instead, I'm sitting in Candide's main saloon. So, what happened?

This morning, I woke up early (well, early by my standards...9:00 a.m.) took a shower, finished packing, and drove to the Jacksonville International Airport...about 40 minutes away.

I was supposed to fly out on an Air Canada flight, but this airline doesn't actually send their own planes to Jacksonville. Instead, they partner with United Airlines to provide services to cities deemed unworthy to host actual Air Canada planes. I knew this before I arrived, and headed straight to the United ticket counter.

As I was standing there looking at the United arrivals / departure sign, I didn't see my flight listed. In fact, I didn't see any planes at all leaving at 12:15 p.m., which is when my flight was supposed to take off.

When I got to the counter and told them who I was, they recognized my name. "Oh, Mr. Doty! Your flight left about 10 minutes ago! We were expecting you earlier!"

Well, isn't that grand. It only took a few minutes for the ticket agent to figure out what happened. I ordered my tickets in July. Sometime in September, my flight was canceled and I was booked on a different flight. One that left Jacksonville two hours earlier.

United said that Air Canada should have notified me of the change (they didn't). When I talked to Air Canada, they said that my corporate travel agent should have notified me of the change (they didn't). Nope. Two airlines got together and decided to change my flight plans without telling me. A conspiracy!

Air Canada was nice enough to change my booking for a 6:00 a.m. departure from Jacksonville with a 6 1/2 hour layover in Chicago on Monday. This would put me in Calgary around 5:00 on Monday afternoon.

When I told my Canadian business partner of this change, he informed me that our Calgary business would be complete by the end of the day Monday...and that most of Tuesday was going to be used to get from Calgary to Toronto. He suggested that I skip Calgary all together and just meet him in Toronto on Wednesday morning.

So, I called Air Canada back and had them re-rebook my flight. As it stands now, I'll be in Toronto around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday evening.

Ain't travel fun, eh?

No comments: